Saturday, February 27, 2010

How can I cover a stain on wall made with dishsoap - paint or primer won't cover it?

Ahhh, the joys of my autistic son. One day he took our dial foaming hand soap and dripped it all down our walls. We tried painting over it, didn't work. Then we tried the Kiltz primer, then painting and the soap stilled showed through with streak marks.How can I cover a stain on wall made with dishsoap - paint or primer won't cover it?
With all due respect to your son; and hopefully ';Ah the Joys';,,,was meant in the most loving sense (no offense)





I want to assume you scrubbed/rinsed any residue. I'm also curious about the substance of the KILZ... OIL/Latex???





I also want to assume you have the finish color?





Scrub; sand if need be and use KILZ or ZINZER ';OIL'; based primer. Those; once dry; accept ANY paint formultaion you choose.





No offense again; but you might channel this effort by your son; in some ';artistic'; way, NOT on walls. I'm sure you're aware of that already anyway. I am curious too, with all due respect. Does he show any Savant tendencies?





Steven WolfHow can I cover a stain on wall made with dishsoap - paint or primer won't cover it?
Hide the stain either with a painting or furniture
if you've painted over the area already and it didn't stick you may have to sand it down and wash the area with TSP and make sure the TSP is completely washed off the wall
Unfortunately .soap is soap %26amp; kids is kids.


If the walls have a flat paint on them , fair chance the soap seeped into the drywall beneath.


All may not be lost.


Try damp washing the area %26amp; if the paint %26amp; primer comes off the streaked areas it is a good thing.


Once exposed, follow up with a solvent /degreaser like acetone to break up the oils in the soap.


If it is working ,there should be no discoloration %26amp; any sanding should leave clean dry dust,


If that dries it out, sand it down %26amp; re spackle w/ the newer quick drying ';plastic'' compound , then re seal %26amp; paint.


';Someone'; in my house got Murphys Oil soap on a wall %26amp; I got away with that method.


Had to scrape down to expose the bare core of the drywall


in spots where it really soaked in..


Hope that helps.


Best regards
try mr clean magic eraser that thing has amazed me as far as what it will remove

No comments:

Post a Comment