Thursday, February 25, 2010

I have to paint a dark burgundy wall white. What is the best way to go about doing this?

I really have limited time as I am moving out tomorrow. I have already put one coat of primer on it, but it looks VERY uneven and patchy and I didn't know if that is what it is supposed to look like. Would I be ok if I put the white paint on next? Or do you think I need another coat of primer? I really can't afford to buy much more paint as I am a very poor college student. Help!I have to paint a dark burgundy wall white. What is the best way to go about doing this?
From experience with red walls going white, double coat that primer first. It will look more even after the second coat. It will take 2-3 coats of white paint. You must let each coat of primer and paint dry completely. Generally 1 hour to dry. If you are short on time, work fast, open windows, borrow fans, etc. If you try to paint on the walls before the primer dries the burgundy will peep through. Good Luck!I have to paint a dark burgundy wall white. What is the best way to go about doing this?
Prime the walls first, then paint them white. It will take less paint overall. Good luck!
one coat undercoat/primer..... is enough





go over it with 3 coats of paint..... more time you allow between the coats the better will cover the dark...... at least 2 hours between coats for water based paints.....(dryer the previous coat better the coverage of second coat....)





good luck
Either a second coat of primer or a very high quality paint. I've found porter brand to have good coverage. Though I don't know about white over a dark color.
If you want to paint a red wall white just put multiple coats of white on or hire a pro
Buy good primor!
Kilz is a primer but now comes in colors and differant finishes.


It should cover your primer in one coat.
before putting another coat of primer sand it down to smooth it out if it's patchy, then add a second coat of primer.
One coat of primer is enough. You should be able to paint with white paint now. Hopefully you have a quality paint. Cheap paint doesn't cover well.
You shouldn't need two coats of primer. Go ahead and add the coat of white paint. That should even it out. If there are still areas that look blotchy, you can touch them up, but you shouldn't have to repaint the entire wall.
I would have suggested sanding the walls first, but at this point I would try another coat of primer first
I would have washed the walls with TSP. This removes paint and dirt. Then I would have primed %26amp; painted. I guess at this pipnt another coat of primer and then paint.
if you have more primer, but more on it. If not, start paining white! You will probably have to put a couple coats of white on it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment