Thursday, February 25, 2010

What should I paint a horse hair wall with?

There was a leak in the bathroom over our living room, so the wallpaper is coming off the walls. Underneath the wallpaper is a gross horsehair wall, which seems impossible to paint conisdering it's consistency. It's a very old house and I'm afraid that wallpapering may be the only option to go with. HELP!What should I paint a horse hair wall with?
You can use a paint roller. You'll see when you're out shopping that there are special rollers for textured surfaces - they essentially have a thicker nap than the regular ones.





The only issue is that you'll need to really slather on the paint... a couple times at least.





If the room is large, and you don't want to deal with rolling paint or, even worse, wallpapering, rent a paint sprayer from your local paint shop or hardware store... usually between $50 - $100 per day. You can spray the latex paint you would've otherwise rolled on, it will fill every crack, it's kind of fun, non-toxic, and you'll be done in a jiffy... (provided you cover the floors well and tape your edges.)





That's what I'd do.





Have fun.What should I paint a horse hair wall with?
If I was living there, and the damage was extensive, I'd pull down the old plaster and put sheetrock up over the old lath. If is a small spot, you might be able to trowel a thin layer of plaster or sheetrock mud over it, sand, prime and repaint or wallpaper. I am presuming there is something there other than just hair! maybe you need a stylist?
A horse hair brush....





Sorry. Couldn't help myself there.





A China bristle works well, too.
  • hair show
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment